xenologer: (everybody's aunt)
I am having a hard time finding RP boards that are up to my standards, and not because I am such a fantastic writer that threading with my inferiors feels too much like slumming. I am having a hard time with a lot of the bigotry and bullshit in people's settings and character assortments. It feels weird, too, because I sort of feel like as a nice white (mostly-straight cis)lady it's not really... for me to complain about, I guess? But... uh... what in the fuck. Someone's got to complain about it, and the more someones who are commenting on it, the better. I guess.

It still feels weird. I'm not sure that it should be a great contribution to a conversation to just regurgitate what I've heard and read and learned from LGBT people and POC, but at the same time I suppose more privileged people should be getting up in arms about this shit, so even if it feels weird, I am probably doing a good thing. I hope.

This started as a post in a thread about bigotry in online RP and I thought I would reproduce it here just so that I could complain to more people. A lot of the things I am complaining about don't even directly deal with demographics I'm a part of, which should tell you how bad they can get. For the most part none of these are issues I deal with personally except that living in a world where they are commonplace sort of sucks for everyone. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to be, say, an LGBT woman of color trying to find a place to roleplay online that wasn't full of bullshit. So I am griping about it.

Congrats. You get my complaining. Aren't you so grateful. I will cut this in case you don't want to read it, because there is a lot of it.

Read more... )
xenologer: (vagina)
Today I was told that my ballsiness (word used deliberately) and general macho heroism make me masculine enough to be respectable, and then someone else called me a fag. Patriarchy, man. I am all up in it today.
xenologer: (vagina)
So I posted the following link on FB, and it prompted a great discussion. I won't reproduce it here because people disclosed and shared and otherwise got personal and it'd be hugely skeevy to copy-paste it.

The link!

Men Get Raped Too--A Response
And as a feminist, let me say this: Guys, I understand that bad things happen to you. I understand that you experience rape, harassment, problems related to sexuality and your masculinity. I get that. When I talk about me? It’s not because I’m refusing to talk about you. You’re allowed in. Share your stories, but stop acting like there’s something wrong with me if I don’t talk about yours every single time I talk about mine. Tell us what happened to you and how it made you feel and why you feel that way. Sit down at the proverbial table with us, have a drink, and tell us what makes you sad about the world.

But don’t you dare fucking interrupt me while you do it. This is a conversation, and in a polite conversation you have to listen and wait for your turn.


There are a lot of people who don't quite grok the problem, though, and so I wanted to add to the proliferation of links to explanations just in case for whatever reason I put it in that special way that works for someone who read the others and thought, "WTF is this shit," and walked away still not getting it.

After all, not everybody is going to have the patience to sit down and type hundreds of words. A lot of people have had The Derailing Conversation too many times, and are so sick of it that now they may well just say "screw it" and give up on the whole thing. If you've ever brought up men's problems in a discussion about the problems women face and gotten this reaction...



...then you just met them after about the thousandth time this has come up. They are very tired. I am not (today), so here is a thing that I wrote that I thought might help.

Read more... )
xenologer: (human monsters)
Someone I was FB friends with posted this:

SO SOME STUPID MOTHER FUCKERS THINK THAT THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE ONES ON THE FRONT LINE THAT THEY BREAK OFF FROM THOSE OF US ON THE FRONT LINE TO MAKE THEIR OWN "OCCUPY"....HOW MUCH SOLIDARITY IS THERE IN THAT....YOU TALK SHIT THEN RUN THE FUCK AWAY....YOU FUCKING COWARDS....WHEN THE TEARGAS AND RUBBER BULLETS BEGIN TO FLY....YOU BITCH ASS MOTHER FUCKERS WILL BE "OCCUPYING" YOU FUCKING COMPUTERS


I answered, "I know why I stopped attending, but I strongly doubt you're interested in hearing why."

He replied, "would love to ashley" and "so you dont know as much about me as you think"

I posted the following status on my own wall.

I am immediately unfriending all of the cockbags who think that distancing myself from the dangerously unstable and, yes, violent people who've latched onto the Indianapolis occupation makes me a bad activist. Newsflash: Women and people of color are always asked to put up with danger from their fellow activists "for the cause," and that is what you are asking. If you don't value my safety, you don't get my help.


Before I unfriended that person in accordance with my statement, I saw that he had liked the status. The guy who called us "fucking cowards."

Fuck you. You are an entire bag of dicks.

I would really like to try and help the new occupation group be founded on some different attitudes, but that's just a hope. I am not certain of my success. I mean, I can start the conversation, but if the only people I have to talk to are guys like this? I don't know.

Fucking stupid.

In the interests of being productive, does anybody have good links to offer so that I can provide reading material to some of my fellow occupiers? I have a friend who has been hooking me up, but if you've read something especially good that you want a bunch of white liberal activists to be reading, I've got some that I'd like to pass them on to.
xenologer: (objection!)
Dear people who believe that Big Pharma is keeping marijuana illegal because they are afraid of its panaceic majesty:

Marijuana seems like it has a lot of health benefits and potential for treatment for lots of things, but it's hardly a replacement for pharmaceutical research. For one thing, if you like having things like studies to back up the medical treatments you use before you use them, universities aren't the only people doing those.

Pharmaceutical companies are no less in need of a critical eye than any other company, but the problem is not the drugs they produce (which go through a lot more testing and refinement to prove relative safety and efficacy than any drug I can buy on the street from someone who grew it in their yard or made it in their house). The problem is having medicine be a for-profit industry at all.

I mean, it's not like "alternative" medicine companies are any less excited to squeeze money out of desperate sick people. At least companies whose claims are regularly evaluated by the FDA have some supervision to curb their more callous and ruthless impulses (which is not to say that they don't have them, because they certainly do--otherwise we'd never have needed the FDA to tell them to do things like stop using antifreeze as sweetener in childrens' medicine).

I just worry more about the companies the ones who want sick people's money just as badly as pharmaceutical companies but don't have to jump through ANY of the regulatory hoops that actual medicine needs to be put through.

I know this is sort of a tangent, but just because pharmaceutical companies are run by brutal and callous assholes who think that other people's sickness should be an opportunity for profit doesn't mean that people selling alternatives to medicine are being hocked by people who are terribly different. Those people just aren't required to prove anything about their drugs, because as long as they don't actually make real claims to safety or efficacy they can sell whatever they want and /imply/ that it's safe and effective.

So it's more than big pharma. It's the entire for-profit medical industry. The naturopaths and the homeopaths and the people who want to twist your spine to cure your diabetes and the people who think you can treat cancer by holding a crystal and standing with one foot in a patch of clover while you rub garlic into the sole of the other foot or whatever the heck are all playing the same game, and it's the game that screws people over.

And yet we have people (probably on both sides of the political divide, but I've encountered them most on the left) who are more suspicious of the people who are legally required to disclose the limitations and side-effects of what they sell than the people who can sell whatever they want as long as they do it in entirely-unregulated supplement circles.

But again. Focusing on "big pharma" as though they're some kind of uniquely evil cabal of kitten-eating reptilians from outer space seems short-sighted to me. As the kids these days put it (or perhaps as they used to put it like twenty years ago, I dunno): Don't hate the player, hate the game. I would add that you can hate the player if you want, but at least try and give the side-eye to the other players, too. It's never just one.

Signed,

A person who treats her illness with science, not conspiracy theories or magic.

So... huh.

Sep. 13th, 2011 03:05 am
xenologer: (happy!)
I am using Facebook more and more for political links and stuff since people actually seem to get more use out of it there. People on DW/LJ who want politics are probably going to get their links from some of the same excellent sources I do, whereas the people I know on Facebook really... don't.

I didn't think people would like that my Facebook feed is ALL LIBERAL ATHEIST FEMINISM NEWS ALL THE GODDAMN TIME but I keep getting little notes of appreciation and admiration for it. I have had people tell me that I'm their main news source, which is terrifying but at least I am gratified to be providing a service in a way that works for them. If what they check is Facebook and the news they want is the sort of issue-based stuff I care about, I guess it's good that I'm bringing it to them.

What this does mean is that I am not using my journal for that so much these days. As I look over my last several entries, they've come about every two weeks and they've been *gasp* about me.

I know, fucked up, right?

That's what I've done for the past few years. I haven't had much else to say because like a lot of people... I don't post too much about myself when I'm happy. I have been. I have the kind of marriage that parents should tell their kids they may not have because it's so unrealistically great. I don't even really have much of a list of First World Problems. I'm... happy. I'm happy and I'm pretty stable and I've got a bunch of new hobbies that have brought a lot of joy to my routine.

I go to burlesque shows now. I will inevitably start performing at some point. It's a matter of time, because we're all just so fucking happy when we're there and I want to be part of the happy. Also, as I told the members of a local burlesque troupe where I have friends, I am really amused by my own ass, and would like to share that with the world.

So maybe you'll be hearing about that! Or maybe I'll just post to tell you how much I love my new bicycle, my new home, and my husband. Maybe my journal will be about me again.

Wild.
xenologer: (Default)
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] deathpixie at Signal Boost: Return of the DDoS
For those wanting to know more about the recent DDoS attacks, yes, it looks like it was the Russian government trying to shut down the dissidents again.

As I said last time, while it's frustrating not to have access, LJ is a lot more than a social network platform. From the article:

"LiveJournal isn’t just a social network. It’s also a platform for organizing civic action. Dozens of network projects and groups mobilize people to solve specific problems — from defending the rights of political prisoners to saving endangered historic architecture in Moscow."

So while I know many are considering the move over to Dreamwidth and other such sites, supporting LJ is a way we can help support those who use it for more than a writing/roleplaying/social venue.


Also, as a FYI, LJ is giving paid users effected by the outage two weeks of paid time as compensation.


xenologer: (Default)
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] deathpixie at Signal Boost: Return of the DDoS
For those wanting to know more about the recent DDoS attacks, yes, it looks like it was the Russian government trying to shut down the dissidents again.

As I said last time, while it's frustrating not to have access, LJ is a lot more than a social network platform. From the article:

"LiveJournal isn’t just a social network. It’s also a platform for organizing civic action. Dozens of network projects and groups mobilize people to solve specific problems — from defending the rights of political prisoners to saving endangered historic architecture in Moscow."

So while I know many are considering the move over to Dreamwidth and other such sites, supporting LJ is a way we can help support those who use it for more than a writing/roleplaying/social venue.


Also, as a FYI, LJ is giving paid users effected by the outage two weeks of paid time as compensation.


xenologer: (Default)
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] deathpixie at Signal Boost: Return of the DDoS
For those wanting to know more about the recent DDoS attacks, yes, it looks like it was the Russian government trying to shut down the dissidents again.

As I said last time, while it's frustrating not to have access, LJ is a lot more than a social network platform. From the article:

"LiveJournal isn’t just a social network. It’s also a platform for organizing civic action. Dozens of network projects and groups mobilize people to solve specific problems — from defending the rights of political prisoners to saving endangered historic architecture in Moscow."

So while I know many are considering the move over to Dreamwidth and other such sites, supporting LJ is a way we can help support those who use it for more than a writing/roleplaying/social venue.


Also, as a FYI, LJ is giving paid users effected by the outage two weeks of paid time as compensation.


xenologer: (vagina)
Ganked from [personal profile] cupboard




You Are An ENTP



The Visionary



You are charming, outgoing, friendly. You make a good first impression.

You possess good negotiating skills and can convince anyone of anything.

Happy to be the center of attention, you love to tell stories and show off.

You're very clever, but you are not disciplined enough to do well in structured environments.



In love, you see everything as a grand adventure. You enjoy taking risks for love.

And if things don't work out, you're usually not too much worse for the wear!



You would make a great entrepreneur, marketing executive, or actor.



At work, you need a lot of freedom to pursue your own path and vision.

How you see yourself: Analytical, creative, and peaceful



When other people don't get you, they see you as: Detached, wishy-washy, and superficial


xenologer: (unlikely weapon)
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] frelling_tralk at post
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] xtremeroswellia at Introduction.
[livejournal.com profile] help_superrobyn was created on June 16, 2011, to raise funds to assist [livejournal.com profile] super_robyn's upcoming trip to New York City. For those of you who don't know her, [livejournal.com profile] super_robyn just turned 23, and has been battling osteosarcoma since she was diagnosed in 2007. She has been receiving chemotherapy for four years, as well as experimental cancer trials, and has had limb-salvage surgery on her left shoulder. The cancer spread to both lungs. After multiple surgeries over the years to remove the cancerous spots, her doctors decided the best option was to remove her right lung entirely, which was done in December of this 2010.

Five months later, doctors discovered that the cancer has now spread to her remaining lung. Her oncologist informed her that they are nearing the end of treatment options, and that the goal now is to keep her as pain-free for as long as possible.

One of the things that Robyn has always wanted to do is to go to New York City, and she and her sister are planning a trip at the end of July. The goal of this community is to help pay for that trip, much like the Make a Wish Foundation (which Robyn doesn't qualify for since she is over 18), but similar to the methods of [livejournal.com profile] help_japan and [livejournal.com profile] helpthesouth auctions.

Your mods are: [livejournal.com profile] xtremeroswellia, [livejournal.com profile] vval, [livejournal.com profile] speedstergrl5 and [livejournal.com profile] muses_circle.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
xenologer: (unlikely weapon)
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] frelling_tralk at post
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] xtremeroswellia at Introduction.
[livejournal.com profile] help_superrobyn was created on June 16, 2011, to raise funds to assist [livejournal.com profile] super_robyn's upcoming trip to New York City. For those of you who don't know her, [livejournal.com profile] super_robyn just turned 23, and has been battling osteosarcoma since she was diagnosed in 2007. She has been receiving chemotherapy for four years, as well as experimental cancer trials, and has had limb-salvage surgery on her left shoulder. The cancer spread to both lungs. After multiple surgeries over the years to remove the cancerous spots, her doctors decided the best option was to remove her right lung entirely, which was done in December of this 2010.

Five months later, doctors discovered that the cancer has now spread to her remaining lung. Her oncologist informed her that they are nearing the end of treatment options, and that the goal now is to keep her as pain-free for as long as possible.

One of the things that Robyn has always wanted to do is to go to New York City, and she and her sister are planning a trip at the end of July. The goal of this community is to help pay for that trip, much like the Make a Wish Foundation (which Robyn doesn't qualify for since she is over 18), but similar to the methods of [livejournal.com profile] help_japan and [livejournal.com profile] helpthesouth auctions.

Your mods are: [livejournal.com profile] xtremeroswellia, [livejournal.com profile] vval, [livejournal.com profile] speedstergrl5 and [livejournal.com profile] muses_circle.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
xenologer: (unlikely weapon)
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] frelling_tralk at post
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] xtremeroswellia at Introduction.
[livejournal.com profile] help_superrobyn was created on June 16, 2011, to raise funds to assist [livejournal.com profile] super_robyn's upcoming trip to New York City. For those of you who don't know her, [livejournal.com profile] super_robyn just turned 23, and has been battling osteosarcoma since she was diagnosed in 2007. She has been receiving chemotherapy for four years, as well as experimental cancer trials, and has had limb-salvage surgery on her left shoulder. The cancer spread to both lungs. After multiple surgeries over the years to remove the cancerous spots, her doctors decided the best option was to remove her right lung entirely, which was done in December of this 2010.

Five months later, doctors discovered that the cancer has now spread to her remaining lung. Her oncologist informed her that they are nearing the end of treatment options, and that the goal now is to keep her as pain-free for as long as possible.

One of the things that Robyn has always wanted to do is to go to New York City, and she and her sister are planning a trip at the end of July. The goal of this community is to help pay for that trip, much like the Make a Wish Foundation (which Robyn doesn't qualify for since she is over 18), but similar to the methods of [livejournal.com profile] help_japan and [livejournal.com profile] helpthesouth auctions.

Your mods are: [livejournal.com profile] xtremeroswellia, [livejournal.com profile] vval, [livejournal.com profile] speedstergrl5 and [livejournal.com profile] muses_circle.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
xenologer: (do not even)
Having a perfectly lovely conversation on Facebook about reason and faith. Now, there was a guy, A, who was agreeing with me, and that's awesome. Then a woman posted to disagree with us, and he started showing his ass.

Here's the relevant bit of the exchange. )
xenologer: (objection!)
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] kythryne at internet powers, activate!
Okay, people. I need you to take this viral, and fast.

We know someone in upstate New York who needs a good custody lawyer ASAP. I'm not at liberty to go into details publicly, but this woman is very afraid that her abusive boyfriend is going to get sole custody of her young child.  She's presently being represented by a court-assigned lawyer who doesn't seem to care about the case, and she has very few resources left at this point. Her next hearing is on Thursday.

If you know a good lawyer in New York State who might be willing to take this case for a low fee or pro bono, or at least offer her advice or support, please let me know. If you don't know anyone, please repost this far and wide. As a mother and an abuse survivor, it makes me absolutely sick to my stomach to contemplate a child being left in the hands of an abuser.

I can be reached at kythryne@gmail.com if you have any leads or want to help.

The internet can work miracles. Let's go.

Edit, Tuesday afternoon: Huge, huge thanks to everyone who has signal-boosted, offered resources, emailed me, and otherwise been willing to help. Our friend is overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers. Amy and I are driving over to New York tomorrow afternoon so we can provide support in person, and we are working on plans to help our friend and her daughter get back on their feet once the custody case is over.

(If you would be interested in donating an item or service to a fundraising auction in the near future, please let me know. Our friend is a talented artist and a wonderful mother to a beautiful little girl who deserves a safe home, and it wouldn't take much to make a huge difference in their lives.)
xenologer: (objection!)
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] kythryne at internet powers, activate!
Okay, people. I need you to take this viral, and fast.

We know someone in upstate New York who needs a good custody lawyer ASAP. I'm not at liberty to go into details publicly, but this woman is very afraid that her abusive boyfriend is going to get sole custody of her young child.  She's presently being represented by a court-assigned lawyer who doesn't seem to care about the case, and she has very few resources left at this point. Her next hearing is on Thursday.

If you know a good lawyer in New York State who might be willing to take this case for a low fee or pro bono, or at least offer her advice or support, please let me know. If you don't know anyone, please repost this far and wide. As a mother and an abuse survivor, it makes me absolutely sick to my stomach to contemplate a child being left in the hands of an abuser.

I can be reached at kythryne@gmail.com if you have any leads or want to help.

The internet can work miracles. Let's go.

Edit, Tuesday afternoon: Huge, huge thanks to everyone who has signal-boosted, offered resources, emailed me, and otherwise been willing to help. Our friend is overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers. Amy and I are driving over to New York tomorrow afternoon so we can provide support in person, and we are working on plans to help our friend and her daughter get back on their feet once the custody case is over.

(If you would be interested in donating an item or service to a fundraising auction in the near future, please let me know. Our friend is a talented artist and a wonderful mother to a beautiful little girl who deserves a safe home, and it wouldn't take much to make a huge difference in their lives.)
xenologer: (objection!)
Originally posted by [livejournal.com profile] kythryne at internet powers, activate!
Okay, people. I need you to take this viral, and fast.

We know someone in upstate New York who needs a good custody lawyer ASAP. I'm not at liberty to go into details publicly, but this woman is very afraid that her abusive boyfriend is going to get sole custody of her young child.  She's presently being represented by a court-assigned lawyer who doesn't seem to care about the case, and she has very few resources left at this point. Her next hearing is on Thursday.

If you know a good lawyer in New York State who might be willing to take this case for a low fee or pro bono, or at least offer her advice or support, please let me know. If you don't know anyone, please repost this far and wide. As a mother and an abuse survivor, it makes me absolutely sick to my stomach to contemplate a child being left in the hands of an abuser.

I can be reached at kythryne@gmail.com if you have any leads or want to help.

The internet can work miracles. Let's go.

Edit, Tuesday afternoon: Huge, huge thanks to everyone who has signal-boosted, offered resources, emailed me, and otherwise been willing to help. Our friend is overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers. Amy and I are driving over to New York tomorrow afternoon so we can provide support in person, and we are working on plans to help our friend and her daughter get back on their feet once the custody case is over.

(If you would be interested in donating an item or service to a fundraising auction in the near future, please let me know. Our friend is a talented artist and a wonderful mother to a beautiful little girl who deserves a safe home, and it wouldn't take much to make a huge difference in their lives.)
xenologer: (YAY)
I am so happy right now. One of my characters has become the Mary Sue of another character within the same setting. It's beautiful.

Okay, for context. Metro City now has a character who is a high school student writing Real Person Fic about the city's superheroes. It's just the worst slashfic ever, with the pairings optimized OOC to provide maximum horror and trauma to the characters themselves when they inevitably find this, and my character is the one that this girl has decided is going to be her self-insert Mary Sue, so she is pairing her with the hero she has a teen obsessioncrush on.

Hence: My character is the Mary Sue of another character within the setting.

BWARRRRRRM

Also, holy shit does it feel fantastic to not have to be the admin of everything for once. I am trying to learn that I do not have to mastermind everything in order for social situations to work or community building to happen. People can talk to each other without me acting as a coach and interpreter, no matter what they seem to think. I am enjoying my vacation from fixing everything for everybody, and y'know what? They're not relying on me for it any more! How splendid!

Anyway, writing is yay. I am thrilled to be writing with so many people who have things to teach me about comedic writing. I end up sort of being a big fish in a small pond, and while it's nice to be appreciated... I stagnate when I'm the popular kid. With the last board I was writing on, people sort of fell all over me and were amazed that I can write dialogue worth half a damn. Guys, I'm coherent, but I'm not a hero. It's nice to not be expected to be one, because I'm not at the top of the heap anymore.

Thank goodness.
xenologer: (YAY)
[Error: unknown template qotd]

The internet, people. It's pretty much my goal anyway. The singularity needs to get here right goddamn quick so that I can upload my consciousness and become a transhuman digital intelligence.

Fuck heaven. I want to spend eternity online.
xenologer: (YAY)
[Error: unknown template qotd]

The internet, people. It's pretty much my goal anyway. The singularity needs to get here right goddamn quick so that I can upload my consciousness and become a transhuman digital intelligence.

Fuck heaven. I want to spend eternity online.

April 2016

S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10111213141516
171819 20212223
24252627282930

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 23rd, 2017 01:56 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios